The door swung open from the force of the howling wind, and the 12 year-old boy said, “Hey! Can we go swimming?”

“Excuse me? Look outside! It's pouring rain and there is thunder and lightening. This is no weather to be going for a swim,” the boy's father said.

“Oh yeah, dad, earlier when I was outside, I saw this spider. It looked like it is poisonous, and I'm going to go outside and bring it to you, so you can tell me if it is poisonous or not.”

The father ran his fingers nervously through his hair, thinking “He just doesn't get it!” As another thunder clap sounded outside the Motel 6 room where they were staying, he said aloud, “Listen to me. If this is a poisonous spider, the best thing to do is to leave it alone! So let's assume it is poisonous, OK?”

“Well what am I gonna do? I'm bored! I'm going down to the office to tell them the TV's out.”

“No, you're not. There's nothing they can do. It's because of the storm. The TV will come back on.”

The boy ran out into the storm.

Comments

  1. Thanks Pamela. I enjoyed yours as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments 3to9travels and Kate. I haven't done much in the way of Flash Fiction, so I thought I would give it a try. It was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very honest dialogue, that's for sure. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alleged Author - One of my college friends who read this piece wrote to me and said that the guy he went to college with would have dove into the pool, thunder and lightening and all, and taught the spider how to swim!

    Thanks for the note!

    Jim Henry

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was very relatable to my own kids. Well done. Mine is #72

    ReplyDelete
  7. First story I've read that sounded like a children's story. Good job!

    Patricia T. #85

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Bridget and Patricia!

    Jim Henry

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...boys just can't keep still, can they...?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can relate to this story, great stuff. Kids that age have more energy than the storm, although they strangely lose it when they become older teenagers. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, and this boy has more energy than most kids, I am afraid. He has AD/HD. If we could harness all that energy, we could solve the energy crisis!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts